Calling my previous “ReddCoin Tip Button” Beta Testers
…and some exciting details for the rest of the Reddcoin community.
I would like to announce the first cut of the tip platform as it is now nearing completion. If the previous beta testers have time, I would like you to give it a spin before i hand the code over to the forum. If you forgot the URL, PM me and i will re-send it to you.
I think it is now pretty close and for a first release i have covered my main objectives.
- Decentralised (no storing of your coins - all tip storage and transfers are direct wallet to wallet)
- Embedded forum tip button that utilises BIP21 (URI linking to use your Reddcoin wallet)
- Will use Chrome Wallet App, and the QT wallet if the Chrome App is not installed *
- Forum Notifications for arriving tips.
- Your incoming tip history is available on your profile menu and based on your registered tip address
- Registration is by a custom setting in your profile to contain your tip address.
- You can update your tip address when ever you desire
: * Note: URI support with wallets and OS is somewhat sporatic. I had a discussion with @laudney during my development cycles and my next task will be document what is possible. If you have any notes on testing you may have done it would be appreciated if i could wrap those details into a single document. This is not clearly documented for all platforms (even in bitcoin world where it originated), so if it is not working for you, let me know so i can put it on the list to be documented.
Some details on the development process
The process of developing this plugin was a little crazy.
But after hearing the calls for progress from the forum members about 4 weeks ago, I decided to take on this challenge after discussions with @laudney.
Like you, i was feeling a little frustrated with what seems to be slow progress, and I wanted to help progress things along.
This is a great community, and i want to see it grow
So this was my call to action!!
Some of the challenges faced however were:
- I have a full time job that consumes a lot of my time
- I was about to be on an OS deployment for work for about a week in Malaysia
- I had downloaded the latest and greatest nodeBB version (0.6.0)
- Reddcointalk was on version 0.5.4
- incompatibilities between all nodebb versions within in the plugin API (noddebb is constantly being updated)
- Had to learn 3 different systems, and get a dev lab setup and be mobile
- Had to wait for nodebb 0.6.1 to be released (and there where some discovered bugs to be resolved)
- Finally, satisfy myself that there is enough done to make the system work for you